(El Salvador) Ramirez was born February 9, 1960 in the city of Santo Tomás, Depto. de San Salvador, El Salvador. He is best known for painting faces of children expressing different emotions which reflect life in El Salvador. You can see in many of his paintings the contrast between the innocence of children with the hardships of life. Yet, the smile of a child is enough to bring hope into the picture.
It is not an easy task to ignore the eyes of the children he paints for they have a story to tell. They resemble mirrors of a world beginning to unveil like a flower blossoming amongst fairy tales in a spring full of flowers and bird thrills as the Cuban writer Ada Oramas said.
Miguel Angel Ramirez has a heart for children. He is the founder of the arts school "Casa Taller Encuentros" where he teaches kids, young people and even adults, mostly from low-income families, to connect with their inner artist. This school, located in Panchimalco, is a beautiful place of inspiration where his dreams to help others are becoming a reality.
The Idea to start a school for low-income children started around 1997 when Miguel Angel got together with a few other artists including Esael Araujo and started an outdoors workshop in Panchimalco. As time went by, through the sale of paintings, he managed to acquire the house which now is home to 'Taller Encuentros'.
He enjoys meeting people from all over the world. His success as an artist and as a human being has allowed him to meet a great number of people with whom he enjoys taking pictures and getting to know their stories.
Ramirez has had many international exhibitions and one of his paintings belongs to the art collection of the Vatican. His exhibitions are:
1 9 8 5 Madrid, Spain. Cancillerķa de la Republica de El Salvador.
1 9 9 0 International Room at the OAS, Washington D.C, USA.
- 1 9 9 1 "Huellas de El Salvador”, Republic Nacional Bank, Florida, USA.
- 1 9 9 1 Four Salvadoran Painters, Galería FORMA, Argentina.
- 1 9 9 1 Fifteen Salvadoran Painters, Museo of Art, Washington D.C., USA
- 1 9 9 2 Cuarta Bienal de Pintura del Caribe Y Centro América, Dominican Republic.
- 1 9 9 2 Muestra Latinoamericana, Galería FORMA, Argentina.
- 1 9 9 4 Independence Month, Venezuela.
- 1 9 9 5 Collective Exhibition, Taipei, Taiwan.
- 1 9 9 6 Arte Iberoamericano, Chile.
- 1 9 9 7 Collective Exhibition, Museum Ixchel, Guatemala.
- 1 9 9 7 Casa Museo Guayasamín, Oficina del Historiador de La Habana, La Habana, Cuba.
- 1 9 9 8 Exposición Internacional Pintando con los Niños de América, Chile.
- 1 9 9 8 Galeria Carmen Montilla Tinoco, La Habana Cuba.
- 1 9 9 9 Pintura Contemporánea de El Salvador, Santa Fe de Bogotá, Colombia.
- 2 0 0 0 Galería SALA LENCIS San Feliu de Guixols, Gerona, Spain.
- 2 0 0 2 Collective Exhibition, Feria Internacional de Turismo INGUAT, Guatemala.
- 2 0 0 3 - 2 0 0 5 Exposición Fundación Rozas Botrán, Guatemala.
- 2 0 0 5 Individual Exhibition, Galería El Túnel, Guatemala.